So, you made your new year resolutions, celebrating a new year. Remember that? You have been keeping your resolutions you planned, or you have been trying to keep them. Where are you at now? If you’re at where you’re planned to be, awesome! Congratulations, you’ve half way accomplishing your goals this year! If you fell somewhere by any chance, you’re not alone. And, this is the time to get back on the plan. Let’s Re-Resolution!
Life gets in our life. So much to do everyday, it’s so hard to track down where we are and think about it. Good and bad, everyday stuff weighs down on us. We all dip below the surface sometimes too, and feel small when things turn for the worse. But (and this is the BIG “but”), the way we feel about ourselves, other people, and our situations can turn around with a simple flip in perception. Here are some tips to keep in mind which will brighten your outlook and keep your spirits lifted, no matter the circumstances:
- Realize that you are in control of you. You can’t always predict what will happen in your life, but you can control how you respond to it. The classic “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade” proverb applies here – so take back your power, and preserve it!
- Catch yourself when you begin to think negatively. Wallowing in depressive thoughts has a snowball effect – once you get in too deep, pulling yourself out proves that much harder. It’s OK to momentarily feel blue about something, but after you acknowledge your feelings, redirect them so you can move on.
- Meditate. Sometimes you just have to drop what you’re doing and realign. Giving yourself as little as 5 minutes a day to clear your head can do wonders for improving your mood.
Also things you need to watch out for or remind yourself of in order not to fall off the wagon again are:
- Think of this year as the best year of your life.
- Don’t forget to read out loud of your goals this year when you wake up and when you go to bed. Trust me, this does work.
- Do a weekly organizational check on your room/desk/car/whatever it is that gets you bogged down in mess, to prevent you from getting into that dysfunctional state of messiness.
- Remember your resolutions. Make sure to eat healthier, exercise more, and spend more time with your loved ones. While these may seem like platitudes, it’s precisely because these basic things assure you of a more satisfying life through bringing you greater energy, closer ties to people you care about and feeling healthier.
- Worrying about what is to come in the future can lead to inaction. Do something about the problems, to the best of your ability, and things may change for the better. And give bad things time. These things too shall pass.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you’re in a bad situation. Relax. Ask yourself once and sort out seriously if you did anything that helped cause it and why – then let it go. Beating yourself up about it over and over just makes it worse and drains time, energy and resources that could go to solving the problem.
Now, it’s your turn. What’s your tips to keep on going strong for your goal? Please share with us in the comment, and remember YOU-CAN-DO-IT!